I apologize for having been delinquent in updating my blog. I've been thinking about posting for a few days now but events have transpired against me. The worst of which was that I actually broke my laptop last Wednesday night. It was stupid really - I tripped over the laptop power cord and my computer came crashing to the floor. Now every time I try to boot it up, I get the blue screen of death instead. I guess its a sign that I should get that new Mac that I've been wanting but in the meantime, I'm blogging from M's computer instead.
Since I started this blog, I've been thinking that I should take part in some of the many food blog events going on - Sugar High Fridays, HHDD, etc. Well, what better time to start than the present! So today I present my very first entry to 'Presto Pasta Nights' hosted by Ruth: Penne with tuna in tomato sauce. While I enjoy spending time in the kitchen whipping up fancy meals, sometimes, on a weeknight, that's the last thing I want to do. Hence, its always handy to have a few staples in the repertoire that can be done in a flash. This is one of mine and is adapted from a recipe from this book.Don't be fooled by its simplicity, its a winner everytime!
Penne with Tuna in Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Cook with Jamie
1/2 red onion
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tin plum tomatoes (400g)
300g of yellow fin tuna in olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
250g penne (I use wholewheat)
Juice of one lemon
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and cinnamon until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Increase the heat and add the tomatoes, tuna and a pinch of salt.
3. Bring to the boil then let simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
4. At the same time, cook the penne until al dente.
5. Drain the pasta, then toss with the tuna and tomato sauce together with some lemon juice and grated parseman.
6. Mix and enjoy!